Editor’s Note: Dave “Fizzy” Weinraub checks in with his thoughts on the stadium. He’s against it. I’m ambivalent. If no stadium means a permanent move to Franklin Field, I’m for the stadium. If we can extend the lease at the Linc, that’s the preferable option. Ironically, Fizzy played all of his home games in a place called Temple Stadium.
By: Dave (Fizzy) Weinraub
- NEIGHBORHOOD DOESN’T WANT IT
- TEMPLE DOESN’T NEED IT – It needs the Eagles to give Temple the same deal the Rooneys give the University of Pittsburgh – Pitt just pays expenses and gets half the net from the concessions. A blue ribbon committee should meet personally with Jeffrey Lurie.
- IT CLOSES OFF 15TH STREET – Disrupting southbound traffic
- PARKING WILL BE SCATTERED AROUND CAMPUS – Making it very difficult for older fans to walk to the stadium.
- THERE WILL BE NO COMMON TAILGATE AREA WITH ACCESSIBILITY TO
FAN’S CARS FOR FOOD AND BEVERAGES – Temple says the open space for tailgating is the quad, but you can’t drive your car there.
- TRAFFIC WILL BE HORRENDOUS – Broad Street has lights at almost every corner. The number streets have either lights or stop signs at every corner.
- DON’T SAY TAKE THE SUBWAY – Most older fans are not going to take the subway. Drive or take the subway to a night game; HA! HA!
- THE LINC HAS EASY ACCESSIBILITY FROM SOUTH JERSEY, ROUTE 95, THE AIRPORT AND DELAWARE, AND THE SCHUYLKILL EXPRESSWAY. That’s why it was built there. How will fans from all those suburbs possibly drive to campus? There will be gigantic traffic jams at Broad & Vine.
- TEMPLE WILL LOSE A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THEIR OLDER FANS AND SOME OF THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS – Most of the season ticket holders are older folks, forty to eighty tears old. Most of the big givers to the university are from this age bracket. Given the problems listed above, many will not purchase season tickets and lose allegiance to Temple.
- AS PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED IN THE INQUIRER, A FINANCIAL ANALYSIS OF SCHOOLS NOT IN THE POWER FIVE FOOTBALL CONFERENCES WHO BUILT NEW STADIUMS, ARE CARRYING LARGE, UNNECESSARY DEBT.
Even the Egyptians have stopped building pyramids.
Tomorrow: Merry Christmas!!!
Wednesday: Season Analysis