Closely following the political campaign of the past year or so was a fascinating exercise.
Roughly 23 folks threw their hats into the ring and each dropped out by “suspending” campaigns until the last two guys were left and we have one on one side vs. the one on the other side.
Each school and conference
will be free to decide how
to safely resume athletic
operations, the council said
Suspending meant ending in all of the cases.
Plenty of factors involved in those decisions but two were key ones: Money and time.
Now we’re waiting on college football.
If college football was going to suspend its campaign, it will be between now and, say, June 1 and that happens to be the day the NCAA has permitted athletes to have individual unsupervised workouts.
In the above story the key graph is this:
“The NCAA Division I Council says college athletes can take part in “voluntary athletics activities” such as workouts in less than two weeks, as long as they can also follow any local restrictions meant to slow the spread of the coronavirus, such as limits on building capacities and physical distancing. Each school and conference will be free to decide how to safely resume athletic operations, the council said.
I can see them running out of time to do it for this fall.
The options seem to be these:
- Have fans attend as usual wearing masks as they did in 1918.
- Have fans attend wearing masks and limit the size of crowds to where there can be at least a seat or two in between.
- Play in an empty stadium with no fans.
- Play next spring when there (hopefully) will be a vaccine.
Either way, it’s time to bleep or get off the pot. Temple is still trying to sell season tickets (as I would imagine every other school is) based on the old model. Fans are balking at buying until some kind of announcement can be made.
That’s the money part. The time part is that fall class schedules have to be determined soon and it’s hard to imagine justifying having college football on the field if there is no college learning at the campuses.
So it’s time to make an announcement: Are we having a season or are we not and what are the limitations around it?
Until then, we’re in a state of limbo and nothing can be done.
It’s time to do something, anything, to end this uncertainty. Something tells me we will find out within the next two weeks, tops.
If not, this campaign is not being fair to its supporters.
Saturday: Upgrades and Downgrades
Monday: A Game to Mark on the Calendar