By Dave (Fizzy) Weinraub
There are three important things in football. They are, coaching, coaching, and coaching.
So here’s where we are. We’ve been on national TV twice, and laid an egg both times. The offensive coaching in particular, has been totally abysmal. This display of a not well thought-out offense, coupled with stupid play calling, is seriously going to inhibit our recruiting efforts. What high school offensive star will want to come here?
- After a turnover on the SF 39, Patenaude ran three running plays.
- After scoring on a great defensive play, do we try an onside kick?
- Then trailing at the end of the first half and having stopped SF, do we call a time-out to stop the clock with almost two minutes left? No, when we got the ball back, we ran out the clock.Maybe I don’t understand, are we trying to win here?
- Trailing by 26 with two minutes left in the third quarter, Patenaude runs the ball on first and second down in good field position. I guess we wanted to hold the score down.
- What about the fake field goal? It seems no one was aware it was a fake but the QB.
I don’t know what he did at Inter-Coastel Waterway, but this is a junior high offense. Everything is straight ahead and completely predictable. Yes, I know, Marchi had a terrible night, as did some of our receivers. But it’s really tough to throw with an all out rush coming most of the time, because the offensive coordinator keeps putting you in third and long.
The defense held out pretty well in the first quarter and a half, but they obviously spent too much time on the field. I wonder if they would have continued to be successful if the offense was eating clock. Once again, this offense needs to be wide-open and throwing the hell out of the ball with quick slants, outs and hooks, and then going long. What about mis-direction, has Patenaude heard about that innovation?
Right now, our football program seems to have returned to the depths. Coach Collins, you must do something radical.
Wednesday: If Not Now, When?
Friday: From Plain to Plain Ugly